Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I love edible presents!

Today one of my students came to class early -- with a present!  I was excited.  It was an edible present.  She said that there was a Russian candy bar that she liked and wanted to share one with me.  Cool.  No obvious tampering the the wrapper and it was intact.  I thought it was like a granola bar because the label said "с миндальным орехом" (with almonds) and it had the texture of a granola bar. She said that it was more like fudge.

As she was about to leave she told me that it was prescribed to her by a pharmacist who thought she had anemia.  "Why?" I questioned.

"It's made with cow's blood."

Right.  I'm pretty open-minded about food.  (I'll try anything multiple times in hopes my taste buds have changed and I like it again.)  I didn't feel disgusted at the thought at all.  I was more surprised that this sanguine snack food was wrapped up like a candy bar was readily available and some of my other students liked it and ate it fairly regularly -- and didn't even know it was made with cow's blood!

I haven't tried mine yet, but I will and will let you know what I think.  In case you're interested in importing it to your local convenience store, it's called Гематоген (Gematogen or Hemotogen) -- which the Wikipedia article on this snack bar informs me is Greek for "blood-maker."

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I don't think it would be a good idea to import it into India :-)

    ReplyDelete